Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Making My Dreams Come True, One By One

Share it Please


"If riding in an airplane is flying, then riding in a boat is swimming. If you want to experience the element, then get out of the vehicle."

You know how sometimes when you've wanted something for so long that you built it up so much in your head and ended up disappointed by the experience when it finally happens? Well, that definitely wasn't the case this time. This last Sunday, on April 13th, one of my biggest dreams came true. I got to truly fly. Not inside of a plane, but just me and another human flying through the air towards the earth.

I've wanted to go sky diving ever since I was probably around twelve years old and officially added it to my "Bucket List" when I was sitting in a study skills class one day when I was fifteen. Finally, at age 21, my friend and I paid our deposits and scheduled a date so we would finally make the time to do it. For years I had been imagining what it would be like and I wasn't let down one bit. In fact, it was far more amazing and intense than I ever thought it would be. The experience I had was hands down the most incredible thing I've ever felt, other than falling in love. Sorry, that's so cheesy but it's true!


Taking off


Danielle and I showed up to the sky diving site, signed our waivers, watched an educational video and then waited for our turn. It felt like ages that we waited but once we put our flight suits on the whole experience flew by. We all crammed into the plane and it only took a few minutes before we were cruising at 13,000 feet. Danielle and I had both paid an additional fee so we could double our free-fall time, because why not? My instructor was a really cool guy who has sky dived over 6,000 times. When he found out that I was going to be the person diving with him he asked if I was scared and I told him not really and that I'd been waiting for this day forever. He responded with, "Okay guys, can I get a different person!?" The entire time in the plane he was cracking jokes and just made me even more comfortable than I already was. However, when it was our turn and we started scooting towards the open door, my nerves started going crazy.  I wasn't really scared at all, just experiencing the biggest rush of emotions I have ever felt. It all happened so fast. There's no sitting on the edge of the plane, "Okay are you ready? 1...2..." It's not like that. He said, "K put your heels on the bottom of the plane, cross your arms, neck back, head up" and we jumped. He knew how excited I was so he threw in an immediate back flip which is apparently frowned upon when sky diving tandem with a newbie...but I'm not complaining! It was incredible.

Danielle's instructor got this picture of my instructor and I jumping out of the plane
 We fell at 180 mph for about ten seconds before he released a small shoot that slowed us to 120 mph (the speed of solo diver). We free fell for a full minute before the main chute opened and it was the most incredible sixty seconds of my life. The amount of pressure in my head was unimaginable and it felt like my ears, nose, and brain had exploded all at once. I thought for sure my nose and ears were bleeding and that my brain had been injured somehow. I'm not going to lie, it was painful but so worth it...and the instructor told me that it's usually only painful the first time you jump. During the free fall, the air was hitting me so fast that my mouth dried out completely and it was so loud that I could hardly hear myself yelling, "Holy shit! Holy SHIT! This is insane!" Once the chute opened, everything went completely silent and we were floating. It was the most peaceful feeling I've ever experienced. The bizarre part was that just seconds before the overwhelming peaceful feeling, I was experiencing the most intense and incredible thing I had ever felt. Both parts of the dive were so different but so amazing, and experiencing that drastic transition was too cool. My instructor let me steer us with the chute for a while and we just talked as he pointed out different landmarks. I was a little nervous for the landing but it was flawless and couldn't have been more comfortable for me. Overall, the experience was amazing and indescribable. I could try for hours to explain what I felt but nothing I say will do it justice. You truly have to experience it on your own.

It's a little embarrassing to say but I have to admit that I cried later that night when I was at home thinking about it. It's embarrassing because most people probably don't get that emotional over things like that, but it was a big deal to me because I think crying out of pure joy is one of the greatest feelings. And that's all it was. I was sitting at my computer looking at the photos and re-living the experience and just started to cry. I had never experienced so many emotions at one time before jumping out of that plane and it was finally sinking in that one of my biggest dreams had come true. I highly recommend sky diving to every single person and plan to jump many more times! I can't remember where I saw it or who said it, but I once read "If I could stand in an open airplane doorway, two and a half miles above ground, and will myself to step into empty space, then I could do anything". And that's exactly how it makes you feel, like you are capable of anything and the world is yours to experience.






The most beautiful view of the world



4 comments:

  1. Congrats, now go get yourself an A license!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice write-up and great quote, "If riding in an airplane is flying, then riding in a boat is swimming. If you want to experience the element, then get out of the vehicle." (Mind if I borrow that sometime?) I also jump at Skydive Snohomish - hope to see you there soon working on you're A license. Jumping out of a plane with an instructor is exciting, but getting your license and jumping on your own is even more fun! Here's the another glimpse... http://vimeo.com/88592631

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh for sure, you can borrow it anytime! It's not my quote but I fell in LOVE with it when I first read it, there's so much truth to it.

      That's so awesome! Amazing video! I'd love to work towards my license! Just gotta save up some money! (: - See more at: http://tueyhan.blogspot.com/2014/04/making-my-dreams-come-true-one-by-one.html?showComment=1399252245436#c3212466454616191931

      Delete

Followers

Subscribe

Follow The Author