Friday, March 14, 2014

"The Sexy Lie"

Share it Please


When I get stressed out I like to write. This last week or so I've been incredibly stressed  between work, photo shoots, finances, and my mum's wedding reception and I've had the worst writer's block...which has only made me stress out even more. I've spent a lot of time trying to find inspiration to blog and haven't found a thing until today when I took 13 minutes to watch this video. As a 21-year-old woman living in America this definitely hit home. While this video inspired me to change how I live, unfortunately it didn't really help the writer's block! I don't have much to say in addition to this video, which is fine because Caroline Heldman says it all perfectly.

Sexual objectification is such a crippling reality today and it seems like it never stops. This issue is huge for me and the topic will always be one that inspires me to express my feelings about it. If men aren't sexually objectifying women (and sometimes vice versa) then we are doing it to ourselves and each other. So many young girls are being fed this bullshit from the media and their surroundings that being sexually objectified is "empowering", when that couldn't be further from the truth. There is nothing empowering about being viewed as an object. 

I'm going to take everything I heard in this video to heart and start working on not objectifying myself or other women anymore, because we are so much more than objects. There are things we can do to stand up against others doing this to us and to prevent us from doing it to ourselves. The first step for me is going to be to stop consuming these products that promote sexual objectification. To stop paying attention to hyper-sexualized images of women and "wishing" that I could look like them. To sit and wish you had another woman's legs, stomach, breasts, or lips is to wish your life away and to waste it. It's shallow and meaningless. How we look should have no affect on how we view our worth because physical beauty is fleeting. Are you going to be less important, less unique, less special, and less of a human being when you grow old and your looks start to "fade"? No, that's silly.

In high school I carried my makeup with me constantly and went to the bathroom to touch it up between every class. And that's not a joke. I've had moderate acne for years and oily skin so between every class I would run to the bathroom to make sure my skin didn't look shiny or my eyeliner wasn't smudged. On top of that, my initial routine to start the day began with spending over an hour and a half on my hair and makeup. Looking back, I hate all that time I wasted doing that, and it breaks my heart that millions of young girls are doing the same thing. Did I do it because it made me feel pretty or made me feel good about myself? No, because it didn't. I did it so other people would think I looked decent. Now my boss is lucky if I brush my hair before I come to work. And at 21 I'm so much more confident and comfortable in my skin than I ever imagined I'd be at 15. However, I still give into sexual objectification from time to time by allowing others to do it to me or by comparing myself to other women, and there's always room to work harder to eradicate that from our lives.

Like I said, I'm still having really bad writer's block but not much more needs to be said that Caroline didn't cover or that wouldn't just be senseless rambling. If you are a parent of young girls or boys, I strongly recommend you not only watch this for yourself but also sit down and watch this with your kids. And talk to them about this issue. Like Caroline said in this video, it seems like we have lost our voices when it comes to speaking out against sexual objectification and like we have accepted it as part of life. Honestly, I recommend this video for all of you. Young or old, man or woman. This woman speaks the truth.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Subscribe

Follow The Author